Monday 1 February 2010

Silent dog training

As many of you will know that follow my You Tube channel or Twitter I have a 5 month old puppy Max a wire haired Vizsla.

I want him to start to pay a little more attention to my hand signals and body language as well as my voice, so as of today I am going to work more with him using hand signals alone...WITHOUT Talking to him!

He's a bright boy, and I have just fed him his lunch along with a directing to a front door mat, the stay and wait and then the release to go eat his food. It was all done in silence which meant I had to reset him once, and the release looked a bit tentative, but his hungry tummy meant he kept going to his bowl. :)

I can see this will be a great way to get him watching me even more closely, and that I can control him in silence when needed. Much better and more subtle than using my voice at times don't you think?

Why not try it with your own dog? Do let me know how you get on!

Best wishes,

Nick





No comments: